The process of becoming a CWI Provider has been fully revised. Please check out this revamped page to learn about the path to becoming a CWI Provider.
Climbing Wall Instructor (CWI) Providers are a vital component of the AMGA. Based throughout the country, CWI Providers teach AMGA CWI Programs.
As representatives of the AMGA and providers of the CWI curriculum – we look for dedicated educators with comprehensive teaching and/or mentoring experience that are committed to helping students succeed. In addition to climbing and technical expertise, being able to articulate written and verbal feedback is an essential skill for those interested in becoming a Provider. We are also seeking individuals who are committed to creating inclusive and supportive learning environments for all aspiring climbing instructors.
The process of becoming a Provider is a partnership between the applicant and the AMGA—the training program is taught and facilitated by the AMGA.
Please visit the FAQ for more information.
Check out the Assistant Provider Bridge Program for more information and options for your advancement toward Provider status.
In order for your application to be considered complete, please submit the following items prior to the application deadline.
Email all items in .pdf format, in a google drive folder, to the Climbing Instructor Program Manager, Andrew Megas-Russell [email protected] and pay the application fee prior to the application deadline.
1. Essay Questions:
Answer 5 out of the 6, limit 250-500 words per question
2. Professional Resume:
3. Indoor or manufactured climbing wall instruction and teaching resume:
• Applicants must use the CWI Resume-Template provided by the AMGA
• Document (a minimum) of 25 classes or clinics - which equates to between 50-100 hours
• This will include the audience: youth group, adult group, climbing team members, school group, or private individuals
• As well as the topic of your class or clinic: lead climbing, lead belaying top rope belaying, bouldering technique, climbing movement, or staff training
• Experience in group management, experiential education, and staff training is preferred
4. Example Lesson Plan:
• Choose a CWI curriculum session from the CWI Program Manual
• Refer to the lesson plan section and use the template on pages 20-22 in the CWI Program Manual
• You may be expected to teach this session during the program
• If accepted to the program, you will be expected to create lesson plans for all of the CWI curriculum sessions outlined in the CWI Program Manual prior to the program start.
5. Ensure your myAMGA account information is up to date:
• Update your AMGA Health Statement including emergency contact and signature date
• Update your Basic Information including apparel sizes and Public Profile information including current contact information
6. $75 non-refundable application fee -
• Email your application to [email protected] and you will receive an online payment link in return.
Please do not submit AMGA course evaluations or certifications with the application. These may be reviewed during the application process. You do not need to include these.
Enrollment decisions are based on a number of factors including the following:
Best Qualified applicants considerably exceed the minimum prerequisites
Well Qualified applicants exceed the minimum prerequisites
Qualified applicants meet the minimum prerequisites
Does AMGA require Provider Program or Mountain Guide Program participants to be vaccinated & boosted against COVID-19?
Effective January 1, 2023 AMGA will no longer require Provider Program, Mountain Guide Program students, participants, or employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
What is AMGA’s COVID-19 Operating Plan?
The federal COVID-19 public health emergency declaration ended on May 11, 2023. With the public health emergency now over, the AMGA's COVID-19 Operating Plan, Policies, and Procedures are being suspended indefinitely. If it becomes necessary to reinstitute the COVID-19 Operating Plan, the AMGA will notify the membership. Otherwise, please remember COVID-19 remains present and may still affect AMGA programming. Common public health practices such as good hygiene, vaccination, and booster upkeep can prevent the spread of COVID-19. Please consider avoiding public interactions in large group settings, particularly indoors, before your program. If you become sick before or during a program, notify the office immediately for assistance.
What happens if I get COVID-19 before my program start date?
If you have tested positive for COVID-19, or are having symptoms of COVID-19 before your program, please call the AMGA office. Specific answers can not be given here for every individual scenario, as individual cases will be different based on timelines and program start dates. While we will do our best to work with you and get you onto your program, solutions will be based on individual situations and illness and program timelines. COVID-19 illness is NOT exempt from AMGA’s cancellation policy. Please purchase Trip Insurance.
The 5 day CWI Provider Training Program is a combination of instruction, coaching, debriefing, and assessment.
There will be an ongoing format of coaching, education, and assessment while giving candidates strategies for framing and creating a positive learning environment, organizing effective program itineraries, and managing the administrative tasks for the program. Critical review of course curriculum session delivery as would be taught on an CWI Course is core to this program block.
As a pilot program we make radical changes from the itinerary to best prepare candidates for becoming a Provider.
• Do I need first aid or CPR training to apply?
You must hold the level of medical training that matches the requirement of the climbing gym or facility that will be hosting the AMGA CWI courses that you intend to provide.
• The AMGA does not reimburse for any travel, food, lodging or associated costs to become a provider.
• Once your application is accepted you will receive more information.
• If you have additional questions after referring to this entire page, please contact Andrew [email protected]
*Applicants may apply to multiple programs at the same time and list first choice / second choice
* Since dates and locations are not finalized, we may be able to provide flexibility with the application deadline. Please contact [email protected] if you are interested and would like to discuss further before applying.
PT-CWI-2024-6 | Exact dates and location TBD | $2,000 tuition | $75 application | Instructors for this program are Caleb Freese and Andrew Megas-Russell
PT-CWI-B-2024-5 | Exact dates TBD | Location TBD | $1,400 tuition | $75 application | Instructors for this program are Caleb Freese and Andrew Megas-Russell
* Program tuition does not include food, lodging, transportation, or other course expenses unless otherwise noted
* Staffing is subject to change throughout the year based on AMGA programming needs and instructor availability