AMGA has been focusing on revamping the process of becoming a Provider and this is taking longer than originally anticipated. While the updates and final changes are being considered, we want to ensure we have “crossed our t’s and dotted our i’s” before announcing the updated process and future training course dates. We apologize for the delay and ask for your patience as we finalize these important details.
Please stay tuned as we hope to have an update announced later in the spring.
We will update this page once these changes are in place and program dates are finalized.
Climbing Wall Instructor (CWI) Providers are a vital component of the AMGA. Based throughout the country, CWI Providers facilitate AMGA CWI courses to certify professionals who teach in an indoor or artificial wall environment.
As representatives of the AMGA and providers of the CWI curriculum – we look for dedicated educators with comprehensive teaching and/or mentoring experience that are committed to helping students succeed. In addition to climbing and technical expertise, being able to articulate written and verbal feedback is an essential skill for those interested in becoming a provider. We are also seeking individuals who are committed to creating inclusive learning environments for all aspiring climbing instructors. The process of becoming a CWI Provider is outlined below.
1. Current AMGA Member
2. 21 years of age or older
3. Must have current AMGA CWI - Lead certification
4. Minimum 200 hours teaching and instructing climbing in an indoor or artificial climbing wall environment
5. Able to top rope 5.9 and onsight lead 5.8 sport, on artificial surfaces, at the time of the training course and is capable of giving a lead demonstration with conscious movement that inspires confidence and is worthy of emulation.
In order for your application to be considered please submit the following items prior to the application deadline:
1. Cover letter - specifically express:
• Why you want to become a provider
• Where you plan to work as a provider
2. Professional resume - that highlights a background in teaching or instructing.
3. Indoor or manufactured climbing wall instruction and teaching resume - Applicants must use the CWI Resume-Template provided by the AMGA
a. Document (a minimum) of 25 classes or clinics - which equates to between 50-100 hours
b. This will include the audience: youth group, adult group, climbing team members, school group, or private individuals
c. As well as the topic of your class or clinic: lead climbing, lead belaying top rope belaying, bouldering technique, climbing movement, or staff training
4. $65 non-refundable application fee - To pay over the phone, please call Andrew, 303.578.3655 or mail check to AMGA Attn: CIP Manager 4720 Walnut Street Suite 200, Boulder, CO 80301
Please submit these three documents via email to the Climbing Instructor Program Manager, Andrew Megas-Russell [email protected] and pay the application fee prior to the application deadline.
Please do not submit AMGA course evaluations or certifications with the application. These may be reviewed during the application process. You do not need to include these.
Enrollment decisions are based on a number of factors including the following:
Best Qualified applicants considerably exceed the minimum prerequisites
Well Qualified applicants exceed the minimum prerequisites
Qualified applicants meet the minimum prerequisites
• How long does it take to become a provider?
There is no set time, but for many providers this is a multi year process.
• Can I observe a program, in preparation to becoming a provider, prior to submitting an application?
No. The AMGA requires that you submit an application, gain acceptance as a Provider in Training and then observe programs.
• Do I need first aid or CPR training to apply?
You must hold the level of medical training that matches the requirement of the climbing gym or facility that will be hosting the AMGA CWI courses that you intend to provide.
• The AMGA does not reimburse for any travel, food, lodging or associated costs to become a provider.
• Once your application is accepted you will receive more information.
• If you have additional questions after referring to this entire page, please contact Andrew [email protected]