How to Apply – Mountain Guide Programs
Please read the 2016 Mountain Guide Program Applications E-mail that was sent on 8/18/15 to the membership for additional application information and FAQS.
Joining and Applying
Join the AMGA, and start applying for your AMGA course or exam today!
Step 1: Join the AMGA (or log-in to your existing account)
Step 2: Apply to Your Course or Exam
- Sign in to your myAMGA account.
- Click the "Apply for a Program" tab.
- Select the discipline and course type you are applying to.
- Select the specific date of the program you are applying to and click "apply."
- Confirm your prerequisites.
- Pay your non-refundable $65 application fee.
- Download, fill out and upload your resume to your AMGA profile.
- Upload your WFR, CPR and any required Avalanche Certification (if pertinent to your program).
- Make sure you have updated your AMGA Health Statement and Emergency Contact information on your AMGA profile.
- Complete all of the above steps by the applicable Application Deadline!
To be considered for enrollment you must submit a complete application. A complete application includes the following:
- You meet all of the prerequisites for the course or exam for which you are applying, including any previous coursework that needs to be completed.
- You have paid the $65.00 application fee.
- Your resume is complete.
- You have uploaded your certification forms for WFR, CPR and avalanche education (where necessary).
- You have filled out the AMGA Health Statement.
- You have submitted your application by the application deadline.
Applications will not be reviewed for enrollment until after the application deadline has passed for that course or exam. If you apply for a course or exam after the application deadline has passed, your application will be reviewed in the order it was received.
Enrollment decisions are based on a number of factors including the following:
- Priority enrollment is given to scholarship recipients.
- Priority enrollment is given to employees of Accredited Businesses (15% of spaces reserved).
- Application is received by the application deadline.
- Evaluations from previous courses and exams.
- Resume completeness and strength.
- Previous wait list status.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted and conditional enrollment will not be granted. If your application is complete and received by the application deadline, the AMGA will make every effort to enroll you on your course or exam. However, space is limited. If we are unable to enroll you on your course or exam, you will be added to the wait list and contacted immediately if a space becomes available or if we are able to add another program.
2016 Application and Notifcation Deadlines
Registration opens on August 18, 2015 for all 2016 Programs.
2016 Application and Notification Deadlines
The application deadline is when your complete application is due. The notification deadline is the latest date you will be contacted in regard to your enrollment.
|Program Dates||Course or Exam Code||Application Deadline||Notification Deadline
|All programs with start dates between December 1, 2015 and April 30, 2016||S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, S8, S9, S10, S11, S12, I1, I2, I3, I4, R1, R2, R3, R5||September 15, 2015||October 15, 2015
|All programs with start dates between May 1, 2016 and August 31, 2016||A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, A9, A10, R4, R6, R7, R8, R9, R10, R11, R12||December 15, 2015||January 15, 2016
|All programs with start dates between September 1, 2016 and November 30, 2016||A11, A12, A13, R13, R14, R15, R16, R17, R18, R19, R20||March 15, 2016||April 15, 2016
Applications received after the application deadline will be reviewed on a rolling admission.
Once your application is approved and you have been accepted into a course or exam:
- An acceptance letter will be e-mailed to you with important dates and information regarding your program.
- Pay your $500.00 deposit (due two weeks from your date of acceptance). Log-in to myAMGA to pay your course deposit ($150 is nonrefundable if you drop out of the course or exam).
- Payment in full is due 10 weeks before the course or exam begins.
- At 7-8 weeks from the start of your course or exam, you will receive an e-mail from the AMGA with important course information, including: a Welcome Letter, a Course Roster, a Logistics Packet, and a Course or Exam Manual.
- At 1 to 2 weeks from the start of your course or exam, you can expect to hear from the Course or Exam Director with more program details.
Refunds and Cancellation Policy
- You’ll receive a full refund if the AMGA cancels the program prior to the start.
- $150.00 of your program deposit is always non-refundable.
- If you cancel your program before ten weeks prior to the beginning of the program, you’ll be refunded all but $150 of what you have paid.
- If you cancel your program within ten weeks of the beginning of the program, you lose any money you have put toward the program.
- You can transfer from one program to another (within the same calendar year) as long as there is room in the program to which you want to transfer and it is before ten weeks prior to the beginning of the program. There is a $150.00 transfer fee.
- If you would like to transfer within ten weeks of the beginning of the program, you lose any money you have put toward the original program.
- Although rare, the AMGA reserves the right to change a program location at any time due to unforeseen circumstances (for example, local snow or ice conditions that make the venue unsuitable.) The AMGA is not responsible for costs associated in these cases.
- We recommend that you consider purchasing refundable airplane tickets and travel insurance for your AMGA Program.
Other Important Information
Other important information:
- If you work for an accredited guide service you are eligible to receive a discount of 10% off the full tuition cost for any AMGA Mountain Guide Program. You must prove you are an employee by having your employer submit a letter on your behalf to [email protected].
- The AMGA is happy to extend a 10% discount to active military and veterans. Please submit proof of status to [email protected].
- If you fail to pay your program deposit or balance by the applicable due dates, you may be dropped from your course or exam without warning or refund.
- We recommend that you purchase Trip Cancellation Insurance in case of program venue changes, cancellations or if you need to drop your course due to last-minute injuries, family emergencies, or other unforeseen circumstances.
- Prices, program dates, ratios, and locations are subject to change without notice. Prices are subject to change depending on course enrollment. If a program does not meet the minimum ratio the original cost may vary or the program may be canceled.
- The AMGA reserves the right to cancel or reschedule a program for any reason.
- The AMGA reserves the right to deny admission to anyone the AMGA deems unable to meet the physical, mental, social, or safety demands of our courses and exams.